Genetic Counseling Program
The decision to have genetic testing for movement disorders can be difficult, but the care team at Northwestern Medicine Parkinson’s Disease & Movement Disorders Clinic can help.
We specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of adults and children who have rare movement disorders or have movement disorders caused by or linked to gene mutations. Our dedicated team includes highly experienced professionals in the fields of neurology and genetics, including specially trained neurologists, geneticists, genetic counselors and nurses.
The results of genetic testing can confirm or rule out a suspected disease or help determine your risk of developing a disease or passing it on to your children.
Genetic testing may be considered if:
- You have early onset Parkinson’s disease or unusual symptoms
- You have family members with a movement disorder and want to know if you will develop the disease
- You have a movement disorder and want to know the risk of passing it on to your children
- You have Huntington’s or Wilson disease, or another rare movement disorder
The Northwestern Medicine Parkinson’s Disease & Movement Disorders Clinic offers:
- Clinical evaluations
- Genetic counseling
- Genetic testing
- Family planning
- Movement disorder diagnosis
- Comprehensive treatment planning
You may be eligible for one of our ongoing clinical trials. Find out how to join a study.
To meet with one of the Northwestern Medicine clinic's movement disorders specialists, call the clinical affiliate practice phone number at 312-695-7950.